Subject: Re: Can open source cost money?
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen)
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 08:31:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, Ben Laurie wrote:
> Brian Bartholomew wrote:
> > I dislike the BSD license for my purposes because it allows libre
> > stuff to become non-libre again.  The BSD license is a superb way to
> > get university research products in mainstream use.  It's a poor way
> > to keep a donation libre.
>
> Examples? Proof?

X-Windows is probably the best example of how it's a poor way to keep a
donation libre.  Ironically, if it hadn't been for Linux and FreeBSD,
it might have stayed libre -- the free-rider problem would have been
much smaller.

Examples of getting university research products in mainstream use are
too numerous to list exhaustively, but here are a few: Tcl/Tk, X, BSD,
NCSA httpd.

Kragen

We are forming cells within a global brain and we are excited that we might
start to think collectively.  What becomes of us still hangs crucially on
how we think individually.  -- Tim Berners-Lee, inventor of the Web