Subject: Re: Can open source cost money?
From: shap@eros.cis.upenn.edu
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 08:30:05 -0400

> On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, Ben Laurie wrote:
> > Brian Bartholomew wrote:
> > > The BSD license is a superb way to get university research
> > > products in mainstream use.  It's a poor way to keep a donation
> > > libre.
> >
> > Examples? Proof?
>
> X-Windows is probably the best example of how it's a poor way to keep a
> donation libre.  Ironically, if it hadn't been for Linux and FreeBSD,
> it might have stayed libre -- the free-rider problem would have been
> much smaller.

For those who may not know, the group that controls X11 (I think it's
the X consortium -- not sure) has just decided to require a royalty if
the X11 system is bundled in a product that is charged for.

It doesn't appear to have occurred to anyone there that this
constitutes a breach of contract with all of the people who have
donated work to the X consortium over the years.

I don't know if it's feasible, but does anybody think a class action
can be made of this?

shap