Subject: Re: "University-style" vs "Berkeley" licenses
From: Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 08:03:54 -0700

>Let me see if I'm fully comprehending the facts:

Let's try to restate the issue a bit.  In a couple of our "Prime Time
Freeware for UNIX" collections, we included 4.4BSD-Lite, among hundreds
of other packages from disparate sources.  In order to advertise the
collection, we might have wished to include a small laundry list of
included packages, just giving the name of each.  We can't do this if
each package requires a message of the UCB flavor.

I am certainly not suggesting that the collection itself should omit
the recognition of the initial contributors.  In point of fact, our
collections go to great lengths to give credit, contact information,
etc.  It's just that the economics of advertising space do not allow
the inclusion of scads of messages of this type.

> I hear this argument about once a week, and it's not growing on me.

If you're hearing it once a week, it's obviously gowing on _someone_.
Nonetheless, it does not appear that either of us is likely to convince
the other, so let's leave it be...

-r

Rich Morin, Canta Forda Computer Laboratory | Prime Time Freeware - quality
  UNIX consulting, training, and writing    | freeware at affordable prices
  P.O. Box 1488, Pacifica, CA, 94044, USA   | www.ptf.com      info@ptf.com
  rdm@cfcl.com            +1 650-873-7841   | +1 408-433-9662   -0727 (Fax)