Subject: Re: Can open source cost money?
From: shap@eros.cis.upenn.edu
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 10:19:53 -0400

> > It doesn't appear to have occurred to anyone there that this
> > constitutes a breach of contract with all of the people who have
> > donated work to the X consortium over the years.
>
> It most certainly does not....

An argument of the following thing might be made:

I wrote code for X11.  I agreed to donate it under the expectations
that the distribution terms for my code would continue to be ``free
for everyone.''  If these terms change I insist that my code be
removed from the distribution....

The sheer havoc involved in removing and rewriting the code might
help.

The ultimate irony of this is that the original success of X was
largely due to the fact that it was gratis.  There were certainly
better windowing technologies in existence at the time.

shap