Subject: Re: Can open source cost money?
From: shap@eros.cis.upenn.edu
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 12:16:02 -0400

> The terms didn't change though...

The terms *did* change.

My hypothetical grant was made to the X Consortium in the reasonable
expection that a gratis version of any program using that code would
be distributed.  If all versions of X11r6 are priorietery, this has
been violated.  The contributor then may have the right to insist that
they stop making *any* distribution of the contributed code.

TOG is always free to drop the code.

> ... TOG ... gave themselves a binary choice: discontinue all X
> development, or continue it under a more restrictive license ...

I agree.  My real concern is that having them go proprietary interacts
very badly with the behavior of graphics card manufacturers.  I'm in
the process of trying to get specs for the i740 chipset out of Intel,
and it's a real hassle -- they don't want to release the register
info.

As long as X11 was free, it controlled enough seats that it was
difficult to marginalize.  If the libre seats shrink, prioprietizing
the card interfaces becomes more justifiable, and then we're all in a
world of hurt.

Given this, and speaking solely for myself, I would rather see TOG
cease to support X11 than see them successfully render it proprietary.

shap