Subject: Re: I want terms that are midway between proprietary and GPL
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen)
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 17:13:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 27 Aug 1998, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> At 03:36 PM 8/27/98 -0400, Brian Bartholomew wrote:
> >I want terms that are midway between proprietary and GPL.
>
> Allow linking with non-free libraries?

One of the things I expect to happen in the next decade, which worries
me a lot with regard to the GPL: the distinction between "linking with
a library" and "using a program" will become less and less real.  If I
link with stubs that call routines with RPC, am I linking with those
routines?  If I ldopen() a program, replace several of the system call
jump gates with my own routines, and jump to main(), am I linking with
the program, or am I just running it?

If Java takes off, this will be an especially big problem.

I know shap already posted about this a bit.  I pestered RMS about the
same question; he said he didn't have time to think about it, same as
with shap.

Kragen

We are forming cells within a global brain and we are excited that we might
start to think collectively.  What becomes of us still hangs crucially on
how we think individually.  -- Tim Berners-Lee, inventor of the Web