Subject: Re: Can open source cost money?
From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 00:50:53 -0400

> Oh, so if I modify the source to the spreadsheet program that I
> bought from you, and use it within my own company, I am legally
> bound to give you my mods?

Yes.  This is designed to make it harder for you to compete with me
during my proprietary investment recovery/profit phase.

Once it goes GPL, you can keep your mods private as long as you don't
redistribute.  Personally, I consider this possibility a bug in the
GPL.  I've heard there are privacy issues in this area, but I haven't
heard a good concrete example.  I sit on the fence.

League for Programming Freedom (LPF) ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/lpf/patents.text