Subject: Re: I want terms that are midway between proprietary and GPL
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen)
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 10:51:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 28 Aug 1998, Brian Bartholomew wrote:
> > Allow linking with non-free libraries?
>
> Wasn't my intent.  Probably not, as it would make the "libre" version
> pretty pointless if you couldn't get libre source for all the pieces.

Well, it depends.  If I write a plugin for Netscape, there's definitely
a point in having the source to the plugin, being able to recompile it,
etc. -- even if you don't have the source to Netscape.  If I write a
mailreader that links with the c-client library to access my mailbox,
it's still useful to have the mailreader's source, even if someone
ships out a version linked with some proprietary code that reads their
proprietary mailbox format -- as long as it's possible to relink it
with a modified version of my free code.

Under certain circumstances, this asset could turn into a liability --
for example, if my libre code ends up being useless because it depends
on some proprietary code that someone else decides to take off the
market.

I'd still rather write code under the LGPL or similar.

Kragen

We are forming cells within a global brain and we are excited that we might
start to think collectively.  What becomes of us still hangs crucially on
how we think individually.  -- Tim Berners-Lee, inventor of the Web