Subject: Re: Can open source cost money?
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen)
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 10:54:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 28 Aug 1998, Brian Bartholomew wrote:
> Once it goes GPL, you can keep your mods private as long as you don't
> redistribute.  Personally, I consider this possibility a bug in the
> GPL.  I've heard there are privacy issues in this area, but I haven't
> heard a good concrete example.  I sit on the fence.

Well, making private modifications to creative works has always been
outside the scope of copyright law, and rightly so.  If I were a book
author, should I be able to legally bind my readers to send me a copy
of any notes they make in the margins of one of my books?

The idea of the GPL is to promote freedoms, not slavery, for software
users.  RMS spoke out strongly against the draft NPL that required
private modifications to be made public, and Netscape fixed that
problem.

Kragen

We are forming cells within a global brain and we are excited that we might
start to think collectively.  What becomes of us still hangs crucially on
how we think individually.  -- Tim Berners-Lee, inventor of the Web