Subject: Re: Can open source cost money?
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen)
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 10:59:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 28 Aug 1998, Brian Bartholomew wrote:
> > Often, the choice is not between non-libre and libre, but between
> > non-libre and nothing.  Not everyone has the luxury to create libre
> > software.
>
> I agree!  I believe that's why we don't have a libre office suite
> today.  I want to make that choice go away.  I want to invent a way to
> produce something libre without luxury, or as close as I can get.

Siag Office is libre.  LyX is libre.  Several crappy spreadsheets are
libre.  Numerous database management systems are libre.

They're mostly not as good as the proprietary alternatives at the
moment.  I think part of this comes from the major negative correlation
between being a Unix geek and being aware of the concept of software
usability and the major positive correlation between writing libre
software and being a Unix geek.

Kragen

We are forming cells within a global brain and we are excited that we might
start to think collectively.  What becomes of us still hangs crucially on
how we think individually.  -- Tim Berners-Lee, inventor of the Web