Subject: Re: Can open source cost money?
From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 14:00:07 -0400

> They're mostly not as good as the proprietary alternatives at the
> moment.  I think part of this comes from the major negative
> correlation between being a Unix geek and being aware of the concept
> of software usability and the major positive correlation between
> writing libre software and being a Unix geek.

I think if the software suffered only from usability problems, it
would be extremely powerful and featureful, but have an opaque and
funky command set.  Instead, all these projects strike me as
incomplete and suffering from a lack of time input.  These programs
can't even read mail.

League for Programming Freedom (LPF) ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/lpf/patents.text