Subject: Re: Can open source cost money?
From: Brian Bartholomew <>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 14:10:48 -0400

> If I were a book author, should I be able to legally bind my readers
> to send me a copy of any notes they make in the margins of one of my
> books?

I don't think book comparisons are very enlightening.  Software is an
IP unto itself because it is functional as well as literary, and has
source code separate from the presentation the user sees.

> RMS spoke out strongly against the draft NPL that required private
> modifications to be made public

I'm interested in hearing these arguments, but I'd rather set aside
this issue and come back to it later.  I'd like to concentrate on
inventing terms for the proprietary phase of my scheme that minimize
the free rider problem.

League for Programming Freedom (LPF)
Brian Bartholomew - - - Working Version, Cambridge, MA