Subject: Re: programs vs. libraries
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen)
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 01:27:24 -0400 (EDT)

On 29 Aug 1998, Russell Nelson wrote:
> Kragen writes:
>  > Well, you have to free the software you incorporate it into.  That
>  > doesn't mean, for example, that using the Linux kernel in the Cobalt
>  > Microserver Qube means that Cobalt must free all the code that runs on
>  > the Qube.  It doesn't mean that writing a CGI script in Perl (assuming
>  > you're using the GPL redistribution license, not the Artistic one) for
>  > your proprietary web server means you must free your web server.
>
> No, because you're not the publisher of it.

When I said "your proprietary web server", I meant one you were
publishing, not one you were merely using.

Regardless, I think this is "mere aggregation".

>  > Linux's copy of the GPL includes a clarification that ordinary programs
>  > using the kernel services are not considered to be part of the same
>  > program as the kernel.  I believe that if you could legitimately
>  > convert Linux into an ordinary program that runs on EROS, without
>  > incorporating parts of the Linux kernel into the EROS kernel, you could
>  > legitimately make the argument that the relationship between your Linux
>  > server and EROS is the same as the relationship between WordPerfect 8
>  > for Linux and Linux itself.
>
> Legally, no.  However, a certain portion of your potential market will
> expect you to free

Does "no" mean you agree with me?  Or does it mean that you think the
relationship is legally different?  The "However" confuses me.

Kragen (who ought to sleep now)

We are forming cells within a global brain and we are excited that we might
start to think collectively.  What becomes of us still hangs crucially on
how we think individually.  -- Tim Berners-Lee, inventor of the Web