Subject: Re: Linux and GPL vs BSD debate.
From: Craig Burley <burley@gnu.org>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 11:26:45 -0400 (EDT)

> > Now if Linux was BSD'd at that time, Microsoft would also be able to use
> > their billions to develop terrific new features that they would not
> > have to share.  They could then compete with more marketing dollars
> > -and- a better product.
>
>Interesting!  I wonder what the BSD people think about this.  Is this
>a valid concern?

My impression is that, among those who are interested in the pertinent
differences, most think it is a feature, not a bug...and mainly because
it means they can more easily persuade companies like MS (or, more
to the point, Apple) to spend $$$ improving the OS, perhaps throwing
some of the improvements back into the "pool" in the form of source code.

Apparently, Apple is doing this already -- improving FreeBSD (or some
variant), keeping some of the key changes properiary, but sharing back
others.

        tq vm, (burley)