Subject: Re: Linux and GPL vs BSD debate.
From: Brian Behlendorf <brian@hyperreal.org>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 1998 10:22:40 -0700

At 11:26 AM 9/1/98 -0400, Craig Burley wrote:
>Apparently, Apple is doing this already -- improving FreeBSD (or some
>variant), keeping some of the key changes properiary, but sharing back
>others.

And Oracle, too.

The philosophy, as I see it, is that these companies will eventually
realize that creating proprietary branches of the code will only hurt their
interests long-term; that contributing back core changes ensures that these
companies can take advantage of further evolution of FreeBSD.  This was the
reasoning inside Apache for choosing a BSD-ish license, too.  The important
thing is that you give companies the choice to do this; which can mean they
get their feet wet with this model without having to convert religions.

And from a standards enforcement perspective, if Microsoft were to use the
BSD TCP stack in their code or the Apache HTTP handling engine, I would
consider it a *good* thing.  It would mean one less proprietary API for
them to own, even if they tried to add incompatibilities to it a la Java.

	Brian

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices  |     brian@apache.org
acquired by the age of eighteen." - Einstein   |  brian@hyperreal.org