Subject: Re: ACT an FSB?
From: David Welton <davidw@gate.cks.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 14:25:56 -0700

On Tue, Sep 01, 1998 at 01:57:25PM -0700, D. V. Henkel-Wallace wrote:
>    Date: Tue,  1 Sep 1998 11:38:01 +0000 (/etc/localtime)
>    From: "Jesus M. Gonzalez-Barahona" <jesusg@cs.cornell.edu>
>
>     Nothing prevents a company with a contract with ACT of making its
>    early versions of Gnat available to the public (the GPL will allow
>    it), but no one seems to be motivated to do so.
>
> My recollection (based on messages from Robert Dewar of ACT to
> gnu.misc.discuss) is that your contract with ACT prohibits this.  And
> I believe the RTEMs people (some of whom use Ada a lot) are
> constrained by this.  But I'm not part of the Ada world so this could
> be slander, sorry.

I don't see how this could co-exist with the GPL...

In any case, what's to prevent someone from buying one of these early
versions, and selling it to everyone else at a lower price?  I suppose
if it is somewhat of a niche market, and there aren't too many
customers, and support is quite important... it wouldn't happen.  What
would happen if the market were larger though?  Surely resellers would
pop up, and they'd have to compete based on their support and service,
no?

Ciao,

	Debian GNU/Linux - www.debian.org