Subject: Re: Motivating support contracts
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen)
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 17:39:02 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 3 Sep 1998, Frank Hecker wrote:
> The second is for someone else to wait for you to make your completed
> binary release public, and then to take that release and distribute it
> at some zero or non-zero price per user or copy.  As I understand it,
> this is explicitly permitted by the Open Source Definition  . . .

I believe that, even if this is not forbidden by copyright, it may be
forbidden by unfair competition laws.  I believe there was a case in
the first couple decades of this century in which a newspaper
successfully sued someone for ripping off their articles, even though
said articles were not copyrighted.

But I don't know *anything* about that area of law, and in any case, it
may have changed significantly.

Kragen

I don't do .INI, .BAT, .DLL or .SYS files. I don't assign apps to files. I
don't configure peripherals or networks before using them. I have a computer
to do all that. I have a Macintosh, not a hobby. -- Fritz Anderson