Subject: Re: Non-proprietary software?
From: ian@airs.com
Date: 27 Sep 1998 23:02:57 -0400

   Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 10:39:45 -0400 (EDT)
   From: Kragen <kragen@dnaco.net>

   On 26 Sep 1998 ian@airs.com wrote:
   > I think it's a good rule of thumb that over the long run nothing will
   > cost less than it costs to produce it.

   Most of the things I own cost me less than they cost to produce; for
   example, my $60 14-inch monitor, my $25 industrial mop bucket, my $60
   Epson Color Stylus II printer, all my $2 and $3 shirts, and my $90,000
   house, which would cost twice that to build at today's labor and
   material costs.

I guess I must have been unclear.  I wasn't trying to say anything
complicated or obscure.

It costs a certain amount to produce some object.  If the producer can
not recoup that cost over the long run, the producer will stop
producing the object.  (This is only true in the long run, because
there are good reasons to pursue strategies like price dumping in the
short run.)

Whether the product is resold later is irrelevant.  The producer is
not involved in that transaction.

Ian