Subject: Re: [may be junkmail -pobox] Free Software Bazaar
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen)
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 10:39:05 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 25 Sep 1998, David Welton wrote:
> I like the idea, but I wonder if one wouldn't leave feeling a bit
> cheated, having paid for something that everyone subsequently gets for
> free.

Hmm.  It seems that, if this is a problem, it is a problem that will
arise with most FSB business models.

This is discussed in the excellent Street Performer Protocol paper
someone posted here about in the last couple of days.  I read it; I
encourage everyone else to read it, too.  It discusses many problems of
copyright enforcement in today's and tomorrow's world, and comes to the
conclusion that any effective copyright enforcement mechanism will also
be an effective mechanism for suppressing free speech.

Kragen

The sages do not believe that making no mistakes is a blessing. They believe,
rather, that the great virtue of man lies in his ability to correct his
mistakes and continually make a new man of himself.  -- Wang Yang-Ming