Subject: Re: GPL and trademarks and brandnames...
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen)
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 16:37:14 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 6 Nov 1998, Brian Bartholomew wrote:
> You are trying to make the brand proprietary instead of the source.
> This may or may not bother you, but I'm suggesting it should.  If you
> believe in libre, then shouldn't all your IP be libre, not just the
> source?

I disagree completely here!  I support the abolition of copyright and
patent, but trademarks are something else entirely.  Trademarks simply
let you identify your company in a unique way, knowing that no one else
will be able to pass themselves off as you.

Frankly, I think it's very important to know who's behind what I'm
buying.  I wouldn't want to buy "Netscape Navigator" at a software
store and find out that it was full of nonstandard extensions, some of
which introduced security and/or stability problems.  The first company
that credibly offers a version of Mozilla free of such stuff will get
my business right away --- Netscape doesn't offer such a product.
Instead, the standard Netscape is full of security problems.

Irony and sarcasm deflate seriousness, and when your seriousness becomes detum-
escent, you're not held responsible for your thoughts. Irony beats thinking like
rock beats scissors. -- http://www.hyperorg.com/backissues/joho-june2-98.html