Subject: Re: GPL and trademarks and brandnames...
From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 1998 15:36:51 -0500

> If the licenses were libre and anyone can sell it for $2, how could
> you have made a living?

I couldn't.  The only entirely-non-proprietary business model for
writing code that seems to work is a charity.  Nevertheless, I think
libre is a useful intellectual goal, because it means you only pay
people to create things, not pay them to keep them away from you.

Today you must pay people to work, because important things like food,
clothing, and shelter are not cheaply digitally copyable.  Maybe if we
invent ubiquitous nanotech like Neil Stephenson's _Diamond Age_, all
necessities will be gratis, and the world will change to a gift
culture like the net.

What I'm really searching for is a business model for a mixed economy,
where some things are cheaply copyable and some are not, and neither
kind is dominant.  Unfortunately the only working business model I've
seen is run-time monitoring, and that has horrendous police-state
implications.

League for Programming Freedom (LPF) ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/lpf/patents.text