Subject: Re: GPL and trademarks and brandnames...
From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 1998 00:55:36 -0500

> It sounds like you have set your standards so high that nothing will
> satisfy them.

Nothing we have yet invented.

> What's the point of doing that?

I believe the real wins to society will occur when copying any new IP
as freely (both meanings) as possible is the default action.  We have
a looooong way to go before we get there, so it's important we don't
consider the fsb business model solved.  My view of current
restrictions on copying is they are at best a very socially costly way
to compensate creators, and at worst trade protectionism.  I suppose
the established order opposed the assembly line, too.

> When you deny it, aren't you doing it by redefining the words?

Nope.  I feel "free software business" means free software business.
It doesn't mean "quite a bit more free than existing software
businesses", or "only loss-leader software is free business", or "free
as long as we only consider software businesses", etc.

Precision in language is useful.  If we declare out of goodwill that a
business acting mostly libre is completely libre, we lose the ability
to discuss the parts that aren't libre.

League for Programming Freedom (LPF) ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/lpf/patents.text