Subject: Re: GPL and trademarks and brandnames...
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen)
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 07:52:13 -0500 (EST)

On 9 Nov 1998, Michael Shields wrote:
> In article <199811070412.XAA06259@battleship>,
> Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com> wrote:
> > If the bits are different, then I agree the packaging must clearly
> > divorce itself from the creator's reputation.  But what if the bits
> > are the same?  Would you buy "Fred's bit-identical copy of Red Hat"
> > for 10% of the price of real Red Hat?  I suspect you buy "Sunsite's
> > bit-identical copies" all the time, and expect the creators' brands to
> > survive an accurate copying process.
>
> Well, cheapbytes.com sells Red Hat for $1.99, so the model seems to work.

I have often wondered about this.

Perhaps most of Red Hat's customers are first-time Linuxers?  That
would explain the high first-time-unix-user rate described in "Sizing
the Linux Market".

I'm curious what fraction of Red Hat's 4.x buyers bought from Red Hat
for 5.x.

Kragen

Irony and sarcasm deflate seriousness, and when your seriousness becomes detum-
escent, you're not held responsible for your thoughts. Irony beats thinking like
rock beats scissors. -- http://www.hyperorg.com/backissues/joho-june2-98.html