Subject: Re: GPL and trademarks and brandnames...
From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 10:07:40 -0500

> Well, cheapbytes.com sells Red Hat for $1.99

Right!  So how come every review of Red Hat doesn't mention it?  How
come more people aren't buying it instead of the real thing?

> so the model seems to work.

Work for who?  I think it's *really important* to know why a factor of
20 difference in price doesn't seem to act like price competition.
There could be a zillion reasons: Is Cheapbytes not on the rack at the
local computer discount store?  It is on the rack, but labeled only on
the CD spine so nobody knows it's there?  Do purchasers get a warm
fuzzy social donation feeling from buying it from the integrator
directly?  Do purchasers feel buying a copy is somehow cheating or
dishonest?  Does any price below $40 get mentally lumped as
equivalent?  Do purchasers not believe it's an accurate copy?  Do
purchasers want the paper book and other value added of the real
thing?  Does an attractive package outweigh this range of price
considerations?

I think I need to learn more about marketing.

League for Programming Freedom (LPF) ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/lpf/patents.text