Subject: Re: GPL and trademarks and brandnames...
From: Brian Bartholomew <>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 09:38:49 -0500

> _Information Rules_ by Shapiro and Varian

Thanks!  I find out about the best books on this list.

> In essence, different groups of users find value in different
> things, and the wise vendor will offer different versions of
> products to appeal to all the different groups.

I'm having a moral problem again with charging all the traffic will
bear for a product that is only valued so high because the customers
don't know any better.  Or because I've deliberately mislead them.
(Buy Brian's unnecessary Linux program: twice the hype of the
competition and ten times the price.)

Isn't the amount of lying to be tolerated in commerce both a moral and
economic grey area?  How do I compete with Barnum without becoming him?

League for Programming Freedom (LPF)
Brian Bartholomew - - - Working Version, Cambridge, MA