Subject: Re: GPL and trademarks and brandnames...
From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 16:26:10 -0500

Let me be more plain-spoken.  As some point, lying produces
transactions of negative value to consumers.  We call this practice
immoral and illegal, and prosecute it as 'fraud'.  Below are a
sequence of questions.  I expect the topmost one to be answered 'yes'
and the bottom one to be answered 'no'.  The spot where yes turns to
no is interesting to me:

	Is it moral to take a fool's money while providing an
	educational benefit?

	Is it moral to take a fool's money without providing an
	educational benefit?

	Is it moral to take a fool's money while trying not to provide
	an educational benefit?

	Is it moral to manufacture a set of fools using lies that
	educate them falsely?

	Is it moral to manufacture a set of fools using lies, husband
	their foolishness, and take their money regularly?

	Is it moral to addict users to nicotine, while advertising it
	as good for you, harmless, and nonaddictive?

	Is it moral to exploit customers as ruthlessly as possible,
	using 'big lies' in any way practical?

	Is it moral to agree to contracts whose terms you never intend
	to uphold?

	Is it moral to sell swampland in Florida, nonexistant
	investments, and fictional roof repairs to old folks?

Where does the following statement fall on the yes/no scale?

	Hi!  This CD contains 'Linux'.  You can only get it through me
	for $25,000.  There are other things out there that claim to
	be 'Linux', but they aren't any good!  You must come back to
	me every year to buy your new dose of Linux, because your old
	copy becomes worthless.

League for Programming Freedom (LPF) ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/lpf/patents.text