Subject: Re: GPL and trademarks and brandnames...
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen)
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 16:28:18 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, Brian Bartholomew wrote:
> Let me be more plain-spoken.  As some point, lying produces
> transactions of negative value to consumers.  We call this practice
> immoral and illegal, and prosecute it as 'fraud'.  Below are a
> sequence of questions.  I expect the topmost one to be answered 'yes'
> and the bottom one to be answered 'no'.  The spot where yes turns to
> no is interesting to me:
>
> 	Is it moral to take a fool's money while providing an
> 	educational benefit?

If by "educational benefit", you mean explaining C pointers to them,
then certainly.  If by "educational benefit", you mean hurting them,
then no.

> 	Is it moral to take a fool's money without providing an
> 	educational benefit?

And no other benefit?  No, of course not.

> Where does the following statement fall on the yes/no scale?
>
> 	Hi!  This CD contains 'Linux'.  You can only get it through me
> 	for $25,000.  There are other things out there that claim to
> 	be 'Linux', but they aren't any good!  You must come back to
> 	me every year to buy your new dose of Linux, because your old
> 	copy becomes worthless.

Silly.

Kragen

Irony and sarcasm deflate seriousness, and when your seriousness becomes detum-
escent, you're not held responsible for your thoughts. Irony beats thinking like
rock beats scissors. -- http://www.hyperorg.com/backissues/joho-june2-98.html