Subject: Re: GPL and trademarks and brandnames...
From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 19:57:12 -0500

> If by "educational benefit", you mean explaining C pointers to them,
> then certainly.  If by "educational benefit", you mean hurting them,
> then no.

By "educational benefit", I mean for the mark to be allowed to realize
he was suckered.

> Silly.

Deadly serious.  A paraphrase of the claims of most commercial Linux
vendors.  Is it moral, or not?  If it isn't, what do we do about it?

| What does it matter?

What do any attempts at OS advocacy or user education matter?  It
matters because we can potentially improve the value proposition of
the industry, for ourselves and for others.  If you aren't motivated
by the libre social cause, then you should be writing proprietary
software, because it's far more profitable.

League for Programming Freedom (LPF) ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/lpf/patents.text