Subject: Re: How Microsoft Thinks
From: Bob Young <bob@redhat.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 21:59:49 -0500

> Russell Nelson wrote:
> >
> > Kragen writes:
> >  >
> >  > I suspect that "open source" is going to go the way of "escalator", though.
> >  >

> > I'm on the board of OSI (http://www.opensource.org), which in theory
> > owns the trademark, and it's my plan that that won't happen.
>
> As I understand it, if you don't actively protect a trademark then it
> ceases to be protectable. I don't see anyone policing the use of the
> term "open source". I'm not convinced I _want_ it protected, either, but
> that's beside the point. Also, incidentally, "open source" was sold to
> me as a term that was clearer in its meaning than "freeware" or other
> similar terms. I only later became aware that it is (supposedly)
> trademarked.

It is not yet trademarked, and I suspect that it is not trade-markable (word?).

If it becomes a trade-marked -name- we (as a community) are going to have to
come up with another adjective.  Any suggestions?

Free Software, maybe?  ;-)

Bob.

Phone 919-547-0012 x227			Fax   919-547-0024
P.O. Box 13588				email: bob@redhat.com
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709	http://www.redhat.com