Subject: Re: GPL and trademarks and brandnames...
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen)
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 22:47:39 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, Brian Bartholomew wrote:
> > Silly.
>
> Deadly serious.  A paraphrase of the claims of most commercial Linux
> vendors.  Is it moral, or not?  If it isn't, what do we do about it?

I do not believe your example correctly reflects the claims of any
commercial Linux vendors I am aware of.

> . . .  If you aren't motivated
> by the libre social cause, then you should be writing proprietary
> software, because it's far more profitable.

I think Red Hat is more profitable than Be.  Over all, libre software
provides more benefits to its users, so I would expect its sellers to
be more profitable in the long run.

Kragen

Irony and sarcasm deflate seriousness, and when your seriousness becomes detum-
escent, you're not held responsible for your thoughts. Irony beats thinking like
rock beats scissors. -- http://www.hyperorg.com/backissues/joho-june2-98.html