Subject: Re: GPL and trademarks and brandnames...
From: Scott Goehring <scott@poverty.bloomington.in.us>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 14:42:20 -0500

"Rich" == Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com> writes:

Rich> Well, clearly they need the "Corporate Edition", which could
Rich> come in a rosewood humidor, etc.

Actually, what the corporate edition would have is a large set of
color-coordinated manuals.  If you don't have enough documentation,
print the source; they won't care as long as it takes up enough shelf
feet.  The more documentation a system has, the more work it is to
maintain it, and hence the more money you can demand and the fewer
other tasks you can have heaped on you at the same time.  (VMS was
great for this, since it had reams and reams of documentation.  I used
to keep three sets of VMS manuals in my office just to make it look
like I had a really hard job.)

The manuals should be bound either in three-ring binders or with a
flat-spine glue binding with heavyweight glossy covers.  Spiral bind
and other cheapo bindings won't do; they look unprofessional.

The digital medium can be a CD inserted in the back cover of one of
the manuals; that's almost irrelevant.  Nobody cares about that.  Same
for the shipping crate; all that matters is that there are a lot of
them.