Subject: Re: GPL and trademarks and brandnames...
From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>
Date: 13 Nov 1998 12:24:08 -0500

   Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 02:18:55 -0500
   From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>

   I am less than satisfied with any plan relying on scarcity, because
   the vendor is incented to increase, not relieve the scarcity; this is
   opposite to society's interests.

Then you will never be satisfied.  This universe will contain scarcity
until the rather hypothetical Omega Point.

Perhaps you should try focusing on freedom rather than scarcity.  The
free software model doesn't say that understanding is not scarce.
However, it does say that, since the information is free, anybody is
free to spend the time required to understand.

I don't think you replied to my information service example.  The fact
that I have an incentive to hoard the information is irrelevant, since
such hoarding is impossible.

Ian