Subject: Re: GPL and trademarks and brandnames...
From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 10:51:41 -0500

> However, it does say that, since the information is free, anybody is
> free to spend the time required to understand.

Suppose you recorded your knowledge of comic book trivia in Latin, and
then GPL'ed it.  You could claim this is free, and everybody is free
to spend the time required to understand it.  But isn't this is a
transparent trick to hoard your IP by making it less accessable?  I
feel that libre requires putting IP in the most accessable and widely
usable form, all other things being equal.

In another license hack, you could also publish your GPL'ed book in
English by blinking it in Morse code from the top of your house.  Even
though the language barrier is gone, I would argue that is not the
"preferred form of the work for making modifications to it", because
"preferred" implies a user-preferred distribution channel.

League for Programming Freedom (LPF) ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/lpf/patents.text