Subject: Re: GPL and trademarks and brandnames...
From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>
Date: 16 Nov 1998 14:02:41 -0500

   Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 10:51:41 -0500
   From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>

   > However, it does say that, since the information is free, anybody is
   > free to spend the time required to understand.

   Suppose you recorded your knowledge of comic book trivia in Latin,

As noted in my last message, I can't reasonably record my knowledge of
comic book trivia in any manner which is useful to you, whether in
Latin or in any other form.  That will have to wait until we have some
form of direct mind transfer.

   and
   then GPL'ed it.  You could claim this is free, and everybody is free
   to spend the time required to understand it.  But isn't this is a
   transparent trick to hoard your IP by making it less accessable?

Yes, it is a transparent trick.  Why bother to raise a strawman
argument like this?  I see no useful analogy to any argument a
reasonable person might actually make.

Ian