Subject: Re: Side note on secret law
From: peterd@Bunyip.Com (Peter Deutsch)
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 17:52:59 -0500

[ Rich Morin wrote: ]

> At 11:27 AM -0800 11/16/98, Scott Goehring wrote:
> >...  Now, the law (in the United States) is all freely available.
>
> Actually, a friend of mine reports that the FAA regulations that
> allow airports to search, detain, and otherwise annoy travelers
> (all in the name, of course, of SECURITY) are NOT available for
> public inspection.  If you are interested in knowing the details,
> say so on the list; he reads it...

Errr, really? I'd like to hear more, as this doesn't sound
right. I could understand certain documents getting a
security classification to prevent their distribution, but
I would have thought that all the FAA regulations were in
the public domain.

Of course, stranger things have happened.  I recall
reading that the government of Finland licensed the task
of distributing its laws to a private company and thus,
its laws are not in the public domain. Any Fins on the
list who can confirm this??

					- peterd

     Peter Deutsch,                                   (514) 875-8611  (phone)
  Bunyip Information Systems Inc.                     (514) 875-8134  (fax)
    <peterd@bunyip.com>                               http://www.bunyip.com

  Physicist Richard Feynman once informed the good people at Mensa that he
  would have to turn down an invitation to join their august body as he had
  scored "only" 127 on the standard IQ test he took in high school, which
  was below their minimum standards. This result probably says more about
  IQ tests (and perhaps Mensa) than it does about Richard Feynman....