Subject: Re: GPL and trademarks and brandnames...
From: John Gilmore <gnu@toad.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 01:41:01 -0800

> I'd actually really like to see a free information service of this
> sort--one which answers questions based on freely available
> information, but charges per question.  Does anybody know of one? (The
> Usenet Oracle doesn't count.)

Gary Warne used to run a service called The Answer Man here in
San Francisco.  For $20 (as I recall), he'd answer any question for you.
He was fascinated by the world and enjoyed doing the research.
He also had an "Answer Man" radio show that featured some of the
stranger information he'd turned up.

Gary died about ten years ago, at Thanksgiving actually, and so did
the Answer Man service.

	John