Subject: Re: Is US Government software public domain and available via FOIA?
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen Sitaker)
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 18:46:58 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 19 Jan 1999, Braddock Gaskill wrote:
> Is software written under contract or by the US government in the public
> domain?

Software written by the Government is; software written under contract
is not.

> Is its source available via the Freedom of Information Act?

I believe so, but it is certainly subject to the loopholes therein.

> Have any attempts been made?

Dunno.  There's quite a bit of software they've released voluntarily, though.

Computers are the tools of the devil. It is as simple as that. There is no
monotheism strong enough that it cannot be shaken by Unix or any Microsoft
product. The devil is real. He lives inside C programs. -- philg@mit.edu