Subject: Re: Is US Government software public domain and available via FOIA?
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen Sitaker)
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 21:27:35 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 19 Jan 1999, Frank Hecker wrote:
> Braddock Gaskill wrote:
> > Is software written under contract or by the US government in the public
> > domain?  Is its source available via the Freedom of Information Act?
> > Have any attempts been made?
>
> There is a lot of software written by or for the Federal government that
> is in the public domain, although this is not always the case, as Keith
> Bostic notes.  (One obvious exception is for classified applications.)

Classified software is still in the public domain copyrightwise; it's
not protected by copyright.

(Except that Scott Goehring says FWP stuff is not exactly the same as
public domain, and I imagine he's taken a copyright-law class in the
last few semesters, no?)

Computers are the tools of the devil. It is as simple as that. There is no
monotheism strong enough that it cannot be shaken by Unix or any Microsoft
product. The devil is real. He lives inside C programs. -- philg@mit.edu