Subject: Re: Is US Government software public domain and available via FOIA?
From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang@inria.fr>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 10:11:59 +0100 (MET)

For obvious reasons, I am no expert in US Gov policies.

However, from what I understand through various discussions and contacts
is that software developed in universities with US Gov money (grants)
has to be publicly available, and that it is among other thing the origin
of the Berkeley licence.
   Many people I have met argue that this is the reason why most of the
Internet software is free / open-source software.
   ... and this argument is often used to explain that open-source
success is just an accidental (and undesired) by-product of US regulation
(obviously much libre software does not fall in that category... but
  ......  )

Bernard

 Bernard.Lang@inria.fr             ,_  /\o    \o/    Tel  +33 (1) 3963 5644
 http://pauillac.inria.fr/~lang/  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  Fax  +33 (1) 3963 5469