Subject: Re: Y2K support
From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>
Date: 22 Mar 1999 19:50:37 -0500

   Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 12:50:51 -0800
   From: Joseph Arceneaux <jla@arceneaux.com>

   I am looking for Y2K support for GNU tools.  In particular, I need
   some organization to provide a Y2K warranty or certification.  BASH is
   an example of something I need.  Cygnus is not an option.

I've had about 20 people write to me so far asking about the Y2K
status of GNU/Taylor UUCP, often looking for a specific warranty.  I
always tell them that as far as I know there are no problems, but I
can not certify it nor provide an indemnification.

I would expect an indemnification for Y2K problems to cost quite a bit
of money.  The risk would be quite high, so the payoff would have to
be correspondingly high (if you don't think the risk is high, then go
ahead and self-insure).  I think your only chance would be the sort of
insurance companies which insure movie productions against the stars
getting into an auto accident: companies with deep pockets, willing to
take a large risk for a large payoff.

Ian