Subject: Re: Do We Need a New Evangelist
From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>
Date: 30 Mar 1999 16:38:21 -0500

   Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 15:25:32 -0600
   From: David Welton <davidw@master.debian.org>

   Actually, as I'm sure Bruce will point out, the Open Source definition
   started out, and is still more or less equivalent to the Debian Free
   Software Guidelines (see
   http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines).  Given that Debian
   permits only free software in our main distribution, we needed a way
   to define what we meant by free, instead of arguing it out for every
   single weird license that comes along.

   Other people seem to have liked our definition, including the people
   who put together the Open Source stuff, and thus, they borrowed it.

Yes, I remember.  However, as far as I know nobody ever claimed that
the DFSG meant anything except an explanation of what Debian would
accept in their distribution.  In particular, nobody ever argued, at
least not to me, that DFSG software was equivalent to free software.
If they had, I think I would have had the same misgivings as I do
about open source software, although at that time I would not have
understood the issues of a privileged owner.

Ian