Subject: Re: Do We Need a New Evangelist
From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>
Date: 31 Mar 1999 13:45:59 -0500

   Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 12:30:35 -0600
   From: David Welton <davidw@master.debian.org>

   On Tue, Mar 30, 1999 at 04:38:21PM -0500, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

   > Yes, I remember.  However, as far as I know nobody ever claimed that
   > the DFSG meant anything except an explanation of what Debian would
   > accept in their distribution.  In particular, nobody ever argued, at
   > least not to me, that DFSG software was equivalent to free software.

   Well, as far as Debian is concerned, it is.  It sounds like you are
   trying to include a more intangible quality in your definition, a
   sense of community, or something of that ilk?

Yes, it's like I said yesterday: for me, the concept of free software
is not equivalent to, nor defined by, a set of licensing agreements.

It's almost a category error, like saying that the definition of free
speech is a law which guarantees that the government will not prevent
anybody from speaking.  The law and the license enable the concept,
but they do not define it.

Ian