Subject: Re: Do We Need a New Evangelist
From: Ben Laurie <ben@algroup.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 18:46:30 +0100

Bob Weiner wrote:

>    BL> Another similar example is the Open Source webpages themselves, which
>    BL> give considerably more prominence to people making megabucks (literally
>    BL> - the criterion for inclusion is 1 megabuck/year) from _exploiting_ Open
>    BL> Source - not producing it, note - than is given to people producing Open
>    BL> Source.
>
> It seems you are using the derogatory form of exploit here (it also means to
> simply utilize).  If so, please consider that if the end goal of OSS
> development is to produce capable, widely used software, then OSS marketing
> operations are just as important as development operations.  Even in Silicon
> Valley with some of the best informed technology consumers, technologies do
> not move themselves.

Even if I accept that marketing operations are just as important as
development operations (which I don't - they are less important), my
point stands. On the page linked as "software that qualifies", mention
is made of a mere 4 developers, who get one sentence each. Dozens of
vendors making megabucks are mentioned, complete with not wholly
accurate advertising blather. This is not the right emphasis, IMO.

Now, it comes as no surprise to me that the proponents of Open Source
are better at marketing the concept than I am at marketing the idea that
the emphasis is wrong, because I'm crap at marketing. It is not news
that technically inferior solutions can be and are sold by better
marketing.

Cheers,

Ben.

--