Subject: Re: Do We Need a New Evangelist
From: Brian Behlendorf <brian@hyperreal.org>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 16:41:45 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, Ben Laurie wrote:
> Brian Behlendorf wrote:

[...]
> > Am I supposed to argue that I'm unbiased?  Um, okay, yes Ben, you caught
> > me, I'm biased, biased towards believing that for some portion of the
> > software universe, open source works, and hey, I managed to find a job
> > which will help make it work, I hope.  Of course, we're all going to look
> > really silly if we say things which are provably untrue, or without merit,
> > or convince companies to make decisions that end up being bad ones in the
> > long run.  If I were an executive at a company considering open source, I
> > think I'd much rather hear from someone who's been in an FSB for a few
> > years and learned how to manage things, than someone who has had no such
> > fiscal responsibility.
>
> I'm trying to say that when you make a list of people who profit from
> the "Open Source" concept, you shouldn't forget to include the people
> who write your paycheck. It doesn't look good.
>
> As for who execs would like to hear from, I presume you are suggesting
> that I'm not in an FSB, or I haven't learnt how to manage things, or
> that I have no fiscal responsibility. The first I wouldn't know about,
> until someone defines an FSB (hmmm ... shouldn't some marketing type
> snap up that trademark, fast?) but I certainly do work for (and partly
> own) a company that depends on free software, and advocates it at all
> opportunities. And, hey, I'm the financial director, too. But don't let
> that worry you, I don't really know what I'm talking about.

No no, Ben, I'm sorry you read that into my message; it was definitely not
aimed at you.  I guess I had extrapolated from your comment about biases
that you felt that the best spokespeople would be those without biases or
agendas that could help their own companies, and I was saying I thought
those with such biases (due to being involved with an FSB) might actually
be better spokespeople.  So I guess you and I are equally biased :)

	Brian