Subject: Re: open source winter
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen Sitaker)
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 13:44:39 -0500 (EST)

Frank Hecker writes:
> Much as I respect Jamie, I think he is being wrongheaded here and
> viewing the Mozilla project through his own personal prism in terms of
> what "success" or "failure" means.

Most of the negative press precipitating the AI winter was also
ill-founded.

Look, I agree that many cool things have gone into Mozilla that
wouldn't have gone into it without it being Mozzled (to use Shap's
term).  But the big news story this week on the project is going to be
that it hasn't met expectations.  In fact, that's been the big news
story about the project this year.

This is exactly how the World Wide Web works: the HTML files are the pithy
description on the paper tape, and your Web browser is Ronald Reagan.
  -- Neal Stephenson, at http://www.cryptonomicon.com/beginning_print.html