Subject: Re: open source winter
From: David Welton <davidw@master.debian.org>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 12:45:33 -0600

On Fri, Apr 02, 1999 at 01:19:17PM -0500, Frank Hecker wrote:

> As for the expectation that hundreds or thousands of non-Netscape
> people would be doing development on Mozila (as opposed to just bug
> reporting), I don't have enough hands-on experience with free
> software development to know if that's a realistic expectation or
> not for a project that's existed only a year as an open-source
> project. (Especially considering that the project is only a few
> months past the decision to basically rearchitect most of Mozilla.)
> However I do believe that it's not unrealistic to expect Netscape to
> "dominate" a project for which it is paying on the order of a
> hundred developers to work full-time.

From the point of view of a somewhat 'average' developer, who
contributes here and there, I think the biggest point was the fact
that there really wasn't anything to use.  Were there something that I
could use day to day, even if it wasn't perfect, that would have
enabled me to at least report bugs, and maybe, if one of them looked
like something I could tackle, contribute a bit.  I gladly would have
given up a *little* bit of stability in order to help out, but from
what I've heard, the whole thing is just starting to get useful...

Ciao,
--
David N. Welton               |   Fortune rota volvitur - descendo minoratus
davidw@prosa.it               |    alter in altum tollitur - nimis exaltatus