Subject: Possible release of NT as Open Source?
From: Pedro de las Heras <pheras@gsyc.inf.uc3m.es>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 20:37:22 +0200

Hi,

Multiple sources have covered declarations by Steve Ballmer and Brian
Valentine, top executives from Microsoft. One of these articles is at
MSNBC: http://www.msnbc.com/news/257224.asp:

"Microsoft is a partner in the joint venture that operates MSNBC.
Separately, Brian Valentine, the vice president in charge of
completing Windows 2000, said the company is "seriously considering"
publishing the source programming code of the "NT kernel," the core of
the software.

     Mr. Ballmer said corporate customers have told the company
"there's a level of comfort if they have the source code, just in
case."

   While a radical step, Microsoft suggested an open-source version of
Windows 2000 fits its philosophy of constant improvement based on
customer suggestions. "We don't have a problem putting the source code
out there if we get some feedback," Mr. Valentine said. "If Linux is
popping up, ... we're going to study the heck out of it. If Windows is
not appropriate, we're going to go make Windows appropriate."

"

Best regards,
--
Pedro de las Heras-Quiros                  Universidad Carlos III

e-mail: pheras@acm.org   URL: http://www.gsyc.inf.uc3m.es/~pheras
      snail mail: C/ Butarque 15. E-28911. Leganes SPAIN