Subject: Re: Possible release of NT as Open Source?
From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>
Date: 8 Apr 1999 14:42:52 -0400

   Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 11:29:18 -0700
   From: Michael Tiemann <tiemann@cygnus.com>

   Fascinating.  I heard about this while I was talking with one of our
   customers.  My take is that MS is going to have to try very hard to
   avoid the technical pitfalls and realities that trapped Mozilla.

I doubt Microsoft would ever use a true open source license for a
complete version of Windows.  PC manufacturers would rapidly stop
paying licensing fees, so Microsoft would lose an enormous revenue
source.

However, even if Microsoft did release Windows under an open source
license, or, indeed, released source in any form, they wouldn't have
to worry about the Mozilla problems.  The point of doing it would not
be a last-ditch attempt to change the rules of the game in order to
survive.  It would be, in essence, a publicity stunt (albeit one with
significant benefits for the world outside Microsoft).  It would not
matter whether anybody actually downloaded the code or contributed
patches; the desired effect would be achieved simply by making it
possible.

Ian