Subject: Re: Do We Need a New Evangelist
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen Sitaker)
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 22:36:55 -0400 (EDT)

Russell Nelson writes:
> No.  Bruce is just over-reacting, as usual.

Did Eric actually write the text Bruce quoted?  Was it in reference to
Bruce disagreeing with him in public about the APSL, in reference to
Bruce's writing entitled, "Do We Need a New Evangelist", or something
else?

Eric's public response to the public disagreement about the APSL
worries me.  If this is his private response, I am even more worried.

The fact is, OSI is not the free software community, and people in the
free software community have the right to politely disagree with OSI
without being publicly flamed, called "immature", accused of "throwing
bombs" when they "should have known better", accused of "splintering the
community", etc.

This is exactly how the World Wide Web works: the HTML files are the pithy
description on the paper tape, and your Web browser is Ronald Reagan.
  -- Neal Stephenson, at http://www.cryptonomicon.com/beginning_print.html