Subject: Re: Cisco print manager story
From: Alex <xela@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 11:28:37 EDT

> Occasionally I hear the story of the Cisco print manager as an example
> of a successful open source project, but I don't know any specifics.
> Does anyone have a reference (either for the software or for its
> story)?

I assume you mean Cisco's enterprize-wide printing system.  It appears
to be a very good example of a well-engineered solution to a classic
system administration problem, primarily using open-source tools.  It
was described in a paper delivered at last December's LISA; you can
find the abstract of the paper (and if you're a USENIX member can get
to the main text) at
http://usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/lisa98/woodard.html

---Alex

Carl Alexander
------------- MIT (where Alex hangs out):
xela@mit.edu      Course VI (sometime special student)    SIPB (prospective)
                  Mitgaard ("honorary mold")    MITSFS    LSC (night worker)
                  http://www.mit.edu/~xela
------------- Work (where they call me "Carl"):
carl@terc.edu     System Administrator & User Services Manager, TERC
                  http://www.terc.edu